A new year is a great time to start fresh, to cast off tired trends and try on something new. The trending styles for the new year are just beginning to emerge; what’s much clearer is which styles have fallen out of fashion. Click the style notes for a list of the top five played out trends from 2014. –– Laura Martin
1. Super-Long Extensions were part of the mermaid look of 2014. Long hair is pretty sure, but it’s also heavy, and hard to tame. Take out your extensions and add some layers for a 2015 update.
2. High-Contrast Ombre was a big trend last year, but try as we did to convince ourselves that it was soft and natural, we eventually had to come to terms with the fact that ombre can look just as fake as foil highlights. This season, tone it down and add some lowlights.
3. Neon Hair in a rainbow of shades brought a playful vibe to 2014, but lets face it: colors this intense end up wearing you. For the coming year, tone down your vibrant shade by adding some gray or beige, for a muted version of the same tone.
4. Heavy Contouring ala Kim Kardashian may look great in photos, but in the light of day, well, it just looks heavy and fake. This year, makeup is all about minimalism. Let your skin breath and try a streak of bright shadow.
5. Bleached Brows had their moment in 2014, but thankfully its over. Dark brows make your eyes look bigger, something everyone wants.
Special thanks to Laura Martin for this post. Laura is a professional hair stylist, former senior educator at ARROJO cosmetology school, and a creative non-fiction MFA student at Georgia College, Milledgeville, GA