In the heart of summertime, it’s normal for women and girls to complain about the condition of their hair. Beach bodies look good, but the heat and humidity, the swimming in salt and chlorine adds up to stress, tangles, frayed edges and faded hues. But hairstyle can be protected with a little knowledge and forethought. Keep reading for my top tips for approaching summer hair care.
– Take the casual, natural, and healthy approach. Forget about hot tools and only blowdry if you really have to. Putting heat on top of the damage the elements can cause is recipe for bad hair days.
– Use hair products with UV protection.
– Pair a hat or headscarf with your style for added protection from the sun. This is especially beneficial if you have applied hair color and want to save it.
– Swimming in the pool or sea is the quickest way to fade an applied hair color; but there is a trick to prevent it. The hair shaft can only absorb so much water, so thoroughly rinse hair in the shower before diving in. This way, hair will have absorbed all the water it can before the chlorine or salt can do its damage.
– Condition more than you shampoo.
– Use a deep conditioning conditioner once weekly. Good deep conditioners are packed the keratin; keratin is the fibrous protein that is the main structural component of hair. As days go by, hair loses keratin, so putting it back is a great way to encourage lustrous hair.
– Even if you don’t want to think about a new style in summer, get a one-inch trim to cut off split ends. Regular trims ensure frayed edges never spoil your style.
– Use the right technique to comb out tangles in mid-length and long hair. Always comb from ends to roots. Start by combing through the final two to three inches of your hair – the ends of your hair shaft – and comb to the tips. Then work your way up, combing through the next three inches or so, and continuing like this until you reach your roots. If you start at the roots working through to the ends then you can push all the knots into a tangled mess.